As the winter chill tightens its grip on the Fraser Valley, homeowners find themselves facing a common issue – frozen pipes. At North Fraser Plumbing, a family-run business based in Mission, British Columbia, we understand the urgency of addressing this problem before it leads to costly repairs. Here are some expert tips to guide you through the frosty challenge and keep your pipes flowing smoothly.
- Turn off the Water Supply: The moment you suspect frozen pipes, locate your main water shut-off valve and turn it off immediately. This prevents further water from entering the pipes and minimizes the risk of bursting.
- Open Faucets to Relieve Pressure: Open both the hot and cold faucets connected to the affected pipes to relieve built-up pressure. This can help reduce the risk of a pipe burst when the ice inside starts to thaw.
- Thaw the Pipes Safely: Use a hairdryer, heat gun, or warm towels to gently thaw the frozen pipes. Avoid using open flames, as they can pose a fire hazard. Begin thawing near the faucet and work your way towards the blockage.
- Apply Warm Compresses: Wrap warm towels or heating pads around the frozen sections of the pipes. This gradual heating can help melt the ice without causing sudden temperature changes that might lead to cracking.
- Insulate Pipes for the Future: Take proactive measures by insulating exposed pipes in your home. This not only prevents freezing during the winter but also improves energy efficiency.
- Call the Experts: If your efforts don’t yield results or if you’re unsure about tackling the issue yourself, don’t hesitate to call North Fraser Plumbing. Our experienced team is ready to provide prompt and reliable service to homeowners in Mission and the surrounding areas.
Don’t let frozen pipes put a damper on your winter. Follow these tips from North Fraser Plumbing to thaw the issue and keep your home cozy all season long. For professional assistance, contact us – your trusted partners in plumbing, heating, and gas services in the Fraser Valley.